Home maintenance and repair are necessary to maintain the integrity of your home. Roofing, window upgrades, furnance or air conditioning upgrades, and exterior paint job are all examples of maintenance.
By taking care of the less-than-glamorous projects, you keep the value of your home intact. When it comes time to sell your home, an independent home inspector will be examining your home for defects. It doesn't make any sense to do a new kitchen remodel (the glamorous project!) when the roof leaks. One is a need (leaky roof) and one is a want (shiny new countertops).
Here is a list of some important home maintenance and repair things to consider:
- Roof and Flashing: A leaky roof isn't always visible, especially in a two-story home. Get up in to the attic space for an inspection. If leakage is occurring, have it fixed immediately. It's probably a result of flashing failure. Check flashing around the chimney, walls, etc. Make sure broken shingles are replaced. Check to make sure tree branches and leaves are not touching the roof. If you have been in a hail storm, odds are that a roof replacement will be covered by your insurance.
- Chimney: Make sure the bricks are not loose or missing mortar. If they are, have the brick stuckpointed to prevent water leakage and structural failure. Check that the roof flashing around the chimney is in good shape and does not have any gaps or openings for water to penetrate.
- Gutters and Downspouts: Clogged gutters are the source of many problems such as paint failure, leaks, wood rot, sagging gutters. Improper downspout outlets are also a problem that can cause water in the basement and cracked foundation walls. Make sure the downspout outlet drains away from the house on soil that is sloping away from the house. If downspouts are allowed to drain into the house or into crocks that run to the basement or foundation, water problems can occur including ground settlement resulting in cracking of the basement wall.
- Plumbing Fixtures: Check that the plumbing fixtures are in good working order. Identify the type of faucets you have and replace any leaking washers or cartridges if the faucet leaks. Check the drainage of toilets and sinks and unclog as necessary. Look at the area at the base of your toilet. Over time, water can cause damage to the flooring.
- Furnace / Air conditioning: Make sure the furnace and air conditioner has clean air filters and is in good working order by performing a seasonal checkups.
Once these important elements are tip-top, minor repairs such as that squeeky floorboard in the bedroom can be addressed. Money invested into your home will not only make your daily living more comfortable, it will also give you a return on investment (ROI) when it comes time to sell.
L&M Construction's Promise
We understand that your home is your most valuable asset. We promise to provide you with personalized service, using quality products, with a high degree of craftsmanship.
Our philosophy is to always build the best, yet most cost-effective, homes and additions. We specialize in:
- High-quality custom homes
- Full home renovations
- Kitchen and bath remodeling
- Home repair
- Custom design/build services
Give Jim Lufkin a call; let's schedule a meeting to see if we are the construction company you have been looking for.
In September, a tree fell on our deck demolishing it. After contacting the insurance company we called L & M Construction. Rick came over and gave us an estimate. The ins
- G&S Carrie, Hampstead, NH Read more...